Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jo usually shares all of her important events in her life, including her secrets, with me. But today I found she has kept something, which I know is very important to her, from me: she has given one of her manuscripts to the editor of the "Spread Eagle" (the local newspaper). Nobody in the family knew about this, except for Laurie, until today, two weeks after she met with the editor.
Jo has been writing plays, stories, and poetry for quite a while now, and she has become very skilled. Two weeks ago, according to Jo, she packed her stories and met with the editor to show him two of her pieces, which she wanted to have come out. The editor told her that she must wait a week, so she did, although her story did not come out until after two weeks. During those weeks, Meg, Amy, and I were quite bewildered for Jo was behaving very queerly. She would be rude to Mr. Brooke and rushed to the door when the postman rang. The afternoon of the second Saturday of Jo acting in such a manner, I observed Laurie chasing Jo all over the garden, capturing her in Amy's bower. Exhausted, Jo bounced in with a newspaper, and laid herself on the sofa. Meg asked her to pick a story from the paper and read it aloud to us. Jo chose one with the name of The Rival Painters. We all enjoyed the tale and, once Jo was done, I asked her "Who wrote it?", for Jo was acting quite peculiar, hiding her bright-red face behind the newspaper, and I got a bit suspicious. Jo put the paper aside, revealing her flushed countenance and announced "Your sister."
I am so proud of my Jo since her advanced writing belongs in the paper, although I feel a little hurt at her for having secrets with anyone but me.