Wednesday, April 8, 2009

CHRISTMAS!!!

Oh, what a lovely Christmas it was too! You will never believe what happened! First, Marmee gave me a lovely crimson merino wrapper. Then Jo and Laurie (The Unquenchables) gave me something just as beautiful. Standing out on the garden was a perfect snow maiden with a delicate crown of holly. She held a basket of fruit and flowers in one hand and a roll of music in the other. Draping her shoulders was an elegant afghan while from her lips on a pink paper streamer was a Christmas carol called "The Jungfrau" addressed to me from the two of them. If father were only there it would have been the most perfect few moments I ever had! Before I get to the most exciting part, I must tell of the others' gifts as well: Jo received a book called Undine and Sintram (something she's wanted for a long while), Amy got the painting called Madonna and Child with an ornate frame, Meg was given her first silk dress from the kind Mr. Laurence, and Marmee recieved a broach from us all.
The most exciting part:
Laurie came in and gave us all the most wonderful Chrstmas present ever! The others got to him first, but I soon followed. Standing before me as I stood at the threshold of the study was Father! I ran straight to him, realizing that this was the best Christmas present I could, and would, ever have. Father told us how he had wanted to surprise us and had gained permission from the doctor as soon as the weather was fine. I am more thankful for this day than any I have ever had! This has been the finest Christmas, and the finest day, ever had by anyone.